Re: Recommend a USB scanner with Transparency Scanning

From: The Doctor What (list.sane@docwhat.gerf.org)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 10:55:42 PDT

    * Geoff Ghose (geoff@focus.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu) [010518 11:41]:
    > I have a 1240U photo, but your not going to find it for $200. I think mine was about $300
    > with the transparency adapter. I think it's a very good scanner for its price.

    I hate it when prices go down *after* you buy it:
    Amazon has it for $217.94 /w free shipping.

    > I often scan 35 mm negative film, and I think the results are good
    > but not outstanding. I use a resolution of 1800 dpi, but anything
    > above 1200 is accomplished with interpolation and therefore might
    > want to be avoided. At these settings you have "mega-pixel"
    > resolution. The shortcoming is the optical density, although it's
    > not bad (3.0 I think), a larger dynamic range would really help.
    > For scanning slides, it is even more critical. (I've only scanned
    > negatives).

    Could you post an uncorrected 1200dpi negative scanned in? You can
    just mail it directly to me, if it'll be easier. (I don't want to
    SPAM the list).

    I'd like to see an example.

    Thanks for your help. :-)

    Ciao!

    --
    "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
    	--Shakespeare, MacBeth, V:iv

    The Doctor What: Not that 'who' guy http://docwhat.gerf.org/ docwhat@gerf.org KF6VNC