Q: Cheap scanner as positioning device? (somewhat OT)

From: Christian Sigg (nav.pub@gmx.net)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 05:52:58 PDT

    Dear List,

    Part of this question is more on scanner-hardware in general, I hope it's
    okay to ask this here as backend-developers probably know about flatbed
    scanner hardware - else just ignore me and I'll shut up.

    For hacking together a "TFT-monitor -> photographic paper"-enlarger I'm
    looking for a cheap solution to xy-position the photographic paper within a
    maximum tolerance of about 0.05mm (about 0.002in, the resolution of 500dpi).
    Commercial xy-tables are rather expensive, so I thought why not disassemble
    two cheap flatbed scanners and build your own?

    So here (finally) is my question:

    Does anybody know a cheap scanner model that is supported in SANE that I
    could trick into just moving for a specified length? (and that would stay
    there and not just return to default position as during a normal scan process)

    Thanks for any help,
    christian