Re: HP 7400c info / Minolta Scan Dual II

From: EdHamrick@aol.com
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 01:51:08 PDT

    In a message dated 5/3/2001 3:19:34 AM EST, moitinho@civil.ist.utl.pt writes:

    > I have read the arguments in favour of different drivers, you don't need to
    > try to explain, but I still don't understand why (for instance) the
    > usb-storage driver doesn't work (at least id didn't). Just my problem of
    > thinking that I understand what I don't.

    There's no good reason why a single driver shouldn't serve
    as a scsi->usb device driver for all devices that need to look
    like a scsi device to higher level routines.

    Oliver claims this would be too hard to write, but I've done it
    on Windows and Mac OS and it isn't hard. The upper levels
    of VueScan think they're working with SCSI scanners, and
    at the lowest level I translate scsi commands to USB
    commands. The trick is to design the driver to do this from
    the start. This works today on Windows and Mac OS with
    HP, Epson, Avision, Acer, and AGFA USB scanners. I did
    the same thing with Firewire scanners on Windows, since
    they also encapsulate scsi commands on Firewire (SBP2
    protocol). Someone already did a generic scsi->firewire
    driver on Linux, and a similar scsi-usb driver is all that's needed.

    Note that the advantage of using generic scsi->usb and
    scsi->firewire drivers is that there isn't any need to set
    up configuration files specifying which scanners (and
    what type of scanners) are on the system. The nice
    part of scsi is that it's possible to poll each device to find
    out what kind of device it is, instead of depending on the
    user to set this up (this is a lot more user-friendly). This
    is how VueScan works.

    This driver the kind of thing I'd assign a college intern or
    beginning programmer to do - it's not hard. If nobody on
    this list has any kernel programming experience, I'll do it
    myself in a month or two as soon as I finish some higher
    priority tasks in VueScan. However, if I write it, I plan to
    sell it (it won't be open source). If someone wants to
    write it and make it open source, I'd be happy to provide
    them the technical assistance they'd need to get it working
    with a wide range of usb scanners.

    Regards,
    Ed Hamrick