[dev] SANE documentation and latex problems

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 10:32:32 PDT

    I just committed some changes to doc/makefile.in to CVS. Documentation
    in sane-backends/ (README(.os), LICEMSE, etc.) and files in
    sane-backends/doc (backend-writing.txt, umax/*, etc.) is now installed
    in $docdir. Users can now access this documenation even if he has no
    access to the source.

    The idea was to also install the sane standard if latex is available
    but I run into the following problem: on some systems an old version
    of latex (maybe 2.09?) is installed that can't translate sane.tex. The
    problem is that latex doesn't exit with an error code but asks for
    user input at the console. Has anyone an idea how to detect if a
    working version of latex is available?

    Another problem: I can't get emacs to generate the sane-backends.html
    web page neither manually (emacs -l tools/sane-desc.el, then M-x
    sane-desc-regenerate-backend-page) nor with make sane-backends-html in
    doc/. The error is:

    Parsing /usr/src/sane/sane-backends/backend/abaton.desc
    Symbol's value as variable is void: :backend

    It works with xemacs, howver. Any ideas?

    Bye,
      Henning