Re: Problems with xsane & scanner

From: MRZ (mrz.pct@home.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 12:42:37 PDT

     In reply, Henning wrote:
    >Probably you have installed the sane and xsane packages from Debian.
    > These are the frontends compiled without gimp support. The right
    > packages for the gimp are sane-gimp and xsane-gimp. I think you need
    > packages for gimp1.1. If this doesn't work, remove the Debian sane
    > packages and compile the frontends yourself (don't forget to install
    > libgimp-1.1-dev).

    This also sounds a lot like the problem(s) I was having, which I finally
    resolved with help in part from this fine group and by trying an additional
    series of steps I'd not done before.
    What I did was the following:
    1.Purged sane and xsane off my system (dpkg --purge option)
    2. Manually purged any remaining references to either.
    3.Updated the gimp using apt-get (this gave me v1.04 btw)
    4.Updated all required libraries using apt-get to conform to what's
    required
    5.Downloaded the most current sane and xsane tars, and compile/make/make
    install (etc..)
    6.Created the symlink to xsane ("for" the gimp) as described by the plug-in
    instructions
    7.Verified ld.so.conf and all other things mentioned in the .PROBLEMS and
    .INSTALL files.

    Next thing I knew it was all good....

    Marc.