message - "device not available"

From: MRZ (mrz.pct@home.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 11:06:56 PDT

    Hi folks.
    Not exactly a dev question, but one I hope someone can still help me
    with.
    I'm trying to identify what resource I need to be examining
    (read/edit/etc..) to understand why my sane scanner source is available
    to xscanimage, but not to xsane (and by extension as a gimp plugin). I'm
    running debian potato on kernel 2.4.3, sane 1.03 and using a plustek
    opticpro 9636T parallel port scanner.

    Simply put, xsane returns "no devices available" even when launched at
    console; while trying xscanimage brings up a scan dialog from which I
    can (and have!) scanned images to and saved to file.

    This is all new to me, but I've looked at the man for xsane and gimp and
    still don't see where I need to start for this.

    Thanks,
    Marc.