connecting a digital camera to SGI O2

From: Wulp, Kees van der (wulp@pml.tno.nl)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 07:47:12 PDT

    Dear Listmembers

    After having addressed various people like reserachers of a technical
    university, listmembers of the Microscopy Society of America and even
    representatives of SGI-Europe, I still have not got an answer to my
    technical question.
    I need to connect first 1, but later 3 still high quality digital cameras of
    same brand (resolution at least 1000x1300 pixels, 8 bits/pixel,
    black and white only will do), to my SGI O2. Each of these cameras have to
    take an image every 10 seconds (exposure time about 0.5 s), not necessarily
    synchronous, sequential is ok, from a product being manufactured.
    From the images, a quality control parameter is calculated which should
    indicate manual intervention by causing an alarm signal if necessary.
    Question:
    Has anybody ever connected a digital still camera to an SGI O2 workstation
    or can someone give me a good advice how to proceed to reach my goal.
    I already went through the SANE archive of 1999, 2000 and 2001 till now but
    there was no item covering this subject.
    Also looked at www.gphoto.org. A huge list of camera's of which I have to
    check which one will do and can be controlled by IRIX 6.5 (os of SGI O2) and
    a SANE interface.
    Does SANE control cameras by using SCSI-bus or parallel/serial ports?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Kees van der Wulp

    C.J.M. van der Wulp
    TNO-Prins Maurits Laboratorium