Re: sm3600 SANE backend in the beam

From: Marian Eichholz (marian.eichholz@freenet-ag.de)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 08:25:11 PDT

    Oliver Neukum wrote:

    > > So we will apprechiate any information pointer for SANE integrations
    > > aspects, especially how to
    > > - link the backend as a SANE DLL module
    > > - install the additional backend by hand
    > > - address the usbfs root access issues in a sensible manner.
    >
    > This is a general problem.
    > You can either live with it and use saned over TCP/IP loopback, which I
    > wouldn't recommend.
    > Or you change the permissions and ownership on the usbdevfs entry.
    > Or write a small kernel module.

    The alternatives all don't look too glorious. Perhaps we have to live
    with the usbfs contraints for now and put the basic communication
    (register transfers and bulk reading) into a stubby kernel module. I am
    not too happy with that perspective, as it makes thinks even more
    complicated as they are now, but at least the kernel module will be able
    to support the communication needs for all devices built on top of the
    Toshiba controller, since there are no semantics at all in the basic
    transfers.

    A simple read / IOCTL interface will to the job.

    > As for portability, I only know that BSD has generic USB drivers as regular
    > devices which will use the same permission system as all other device files.
    > Is there any other Unix with USB support ?

    It looks as if portability is the least important problem for now. But
    we can keep it in mind.

    Thank You, Oliver, for Your suggestions.

    --
    Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Yours sincerely

    Marian Eichholz

    - - - - - - - - - - - Marian Eichholz Postmaster freenet.de AG Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Gerhard Schmid Deelbögenkamp 4c Vorstand: Eckhard Spoerr (Vors.), Axel Krieger 22297 Hamburg Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 74048