No more access to HP SCSI-Scanner after upgrade to SuSE 7.1

From: Jörg Lippmann (joerg.lippmann@web.de)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 12:40:31 PST

    Hi!

    Since I upgraded my Linux from SuSE 7.0 to SuSE 7.1, I get no more access to
    my scanner with xsane and xsanimage.

    Hardware: SCSI-Scanner HP Scanjet 4c (C2520A), DawiControl DC2974,
    Software: SuSE Linux 7.1, Kernel 2.2.18 and 2.2.14, sane-1.0.4-3, xsane-0.70-0

    My scanner worked well under the two former SuSE-Linuxes, I never had
    problems. But since I installed SuSE-7.1 xsane never got further than the
    "scanning for devices"-Window. The scanner is identified by the scsi and the
    sg-module at boot time correctly as a

     Vendor: HP Model: C2520A Rev: 3503
     Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Detected scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0

    find-scanner also identifies the correct device. It's neither a matter of
    permission (tried everything also as root) nor broken hardware (works well
    under windows on the same machine).

    I tried both supplied 2.2.18 and 2.4.0-Kernels (one at a time, of course) and
    also compiled them using each possible modules for my SCSI-adapter, AM53c279
    and tmscsim, as modules or compiled into the kernel, same for the
    generic-scsi-driver, all possible combinations. No success.

    What can I do more? Are there any issues concerning the new SuSE?
    Any hints will be appreciated.

    Jörg@home

    --
      joerg.lippmann@web.de  ·  Holtenauer Straße 239 · 24106 Kiel · 0431/3053270