ScanMaker 3600 report

From: Marian Eichholz (marian.eichholz@freenet-ag.de)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 01:56:51 PST

    Hello!

    Glenn and me made some progress with the ScanMaker 3600 scanner.

    Glenn discovered, that the scanner definitly uses a register transfer
    model. There is a (virtual?) scanning
    with approx. 70 registers, that are written and read on a
    byte/word/RGB/block base.

    I built (and am building) some tools, filters and so on to get some
    infrastructure for hand-on-testing. And I ran some promising sessions
    with the scanner (the scanning unit is moving :-) )

    There are stereotype access patterns for different scan types and
    parameters. So I am very confident, that we can build a user space
    program for first test scans (with usblib-0.1.3b).

    For now I have no idea, how the integration into SANE shall be done.
    Particulary I am curious, if a kernel driver module is necessary at all,
    and what it should do, if it is necessary.

    Today, I am in negotiations with Microtek. I see a really change to get
    some documentation on the register model. This would *really* make the
    driver development easier.

    --

    Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Yours sincerely

    Marian Eichholz (0211/53087-521)

    -- freenet.de AG Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Gerhard Schmid Deelbögenkamp 4c Vorstand: Eckhard Spoerr (Vors.), Axel Krieger 22297 Hamburg Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 74048