Re: Epson 610 color output truncated with scanimage

From: Kees Lemmens (C.W.J.Lemmens@its.tudelft.nl)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 13:28:57 PST

    Hi Karl Heinz and other Epson 610 freaks,

    On Tue, 06 Feb 2001, Karl Heinz wrote:
    >I have not had time to check this in the source code, but I think
    >I know what the problem is:
    >The Perfection610 does not combine the RGB channels in the scanner, it
    >sends them separately and I have to do this manually. There is a shift
    >between the color channels that the backends receives (the actual amount

    I now made a dirty fix that works reasonably : I hacked the scanimage frontend
    and let it decrease the height in the PNM header now, but only in case a color
    scan is made. Here is the hack :

    Decrease height parameter in write_pnm_header() function in scanimage.c :

          case SANE_FRAME_BLUE:
          case SANE_FRAME_RGB:
            printf ("P6\n# SANE data follows\n%d %d\n%d\n", width,
    + #ifdef EPSON610_COLOR_HACK
    + height - 5, // only enough for 75 and 150 dpi
    + #else
             height,
    + #endif
             (depth <= 8) ? 255 : 65535);
          break;

    See what you do with it : probably it can help somebody else as well. Note
    that a decrease with 5 lines is only sufficient for 75 and 150 dpi: for 300 and
    600 dpi it should be more.
    This should be automatically detected and adjusted as well but that is something
    to be done yet.

    Note that the xscanner frontend (based upon the scanimage program) is
    also updated : it is located on the website below.

    bye,

    --
     Kees Lemmens,
     Email: C.W.J.Lemmens@its.tudelft.nl,