Solaris7 preview update, questions.

From: John Craig (jcraig@agen.ufl.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 13:31:17 PST

    Hi all,

    Here's an update on the issues I found with Saned, snapscan on Sparc
    Solaris 7:

    I moved the Acer 610ST scanner to an Ultrasparc 10 system, and found the
    same problems as on the Sparc 4, with the scan clients crashing on
    preview. So, I swapped the scanner for a Microtek 6USL, and now it
    works!!

    Clearly the problem was with the snapscan backend, although it works
    perfectly on a Linux box, but not Solaris. Now there are only a few
    issues remaining:

    1) It seems the microtek2 backend won't wake up the scanner when it had
    shut off the scanner light source. It scans a black image, (because
    there's no light source), unless you first turn off and on the scanner
    so it initializes, and the light comes on.

    2) The Xsane-0.71-Win32 client works well (thanks Oliver!), except, not
    on an Athlon box running Win2000. It works fine on Pentium (I, II, III)
    machines running Win95, Win98 and Win2000, but crashes on the Athlon.
    Seems like a compiler bug to me.

    3) Another microtek2, xscanimage issue: in xscanimage, an option
    appears to scan in 8bpp or 12bpp. The 8bpp works fine, but the 12bpp
    setting doesn't scan properly, and produces weird results. (I know, who
    needs 12 bpp anyway, but actually it might be useful for me, because I
    sometimes digitize aerial photography film, where the higher bit depth
    can actually mean something.) Any suggestions?