Re: support for HP 3400C or 4300C?

From: Dominique Bouix (domimail@tonnikala.org)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 06:17:41 PST

    On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 10:24:12AM +0000, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
    > > Unfortunately I didn't get your mail before I went to the shop, and I
    > > got myself a 3400C. As I mentioned in my previous mail, USB scanners
    > > aren't an option since I don't have a USB port on any machine here.
    >
    > How old is the machine, as not having a USB port is rather unusual for
    > a machine purchase in the last four years. Even if it appears not
    > to have USB ports, it may well have them on the motherboard, and all
    > you need is a USB backplate to plug into the header on the motherboard
    > and take a spare expansion slot up.

    The machine was bought in 1997 or 1998. I have not checked the motherboard,
    it's an Octek with the Intel 430TX chipset.

    > Failing that I would suggest either buying a PCI USB plug in card, getting
    > a cheap SCSI card and a SCSI scanner.
    >
    > You have checked the parallel port Sane/Linux scanner page? Performance is
    > so crap with parallel scanners that I would avoid them like the plague.

    Well, unfortunately this info came a bit late. Having checked about 5-6
    stores, I only found one store which had a non-USB scanner in the price
    range I wanted (less than 200 euros). Unfortunately said scanner was out of
    stock. It's not very easy finding scanners for SANE here in Finland.

    regards,
    Dominique
    PS: performance of the HP parallel port scanner is excellent compared to my
    old Scantak 2c <grin>