Re: Solaris works! New problem.

From: Gregory Gulik (greg@gulik.org)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 08:05:46 PST

    Joern Clausen wrote:
    > On the one hand, LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not work in this case, you would
    > have to set LD_RUN_PATH. On the other hand, these two environment
    > variables are IMHO the wrong solution under Solaris. I personally have
    > tweaked all those xyz-config scripts that come with Gtk, Gimp, Imlib etc,
    > to return parallel to the -L option the -R option, when called with --libs.
    > My gtk-config returns
    >
    > fasil:/homes/jc> gtk-config --libs
    > -L/vol/gtk-1.2.8/lib -R/vol/gtk-1.2.8/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lsocket -lnsl -lm
    >
    > and usually configure scripts work out of the box. Ok, Gimp's don't,
    > because the developers decided to parse the result of gtk-config and
    > throw out everything that does not look like '-L...', but that's a
    > different, though sad story.

    Ok, for the sake of just getting it working for now I tried setting the
    LD_RUN_PATH to be the same as my LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

    $ echo $LD_RUN_PATH
    /usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/xpm/lib:/usr/local/kde/lib:/opt/gtk/lib:/opt/gnome/lib

    I re-installed all the libraries under /usr/local/lib instead of the
    /opt/gtk/lib it was before.

    $ ls /usr/local/lib/libgmodule*
    /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0 /usr/local/lib/libgmodule.la
    /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0.0.6 /usr/local/lib/libgmodule.so
    /usr/local/lib/libgmodule.a

    Yet when I try to run xscanimage I still get:

    $ xscanimage
    ld.so.1: xscanimage: fatal: libgmodule-1.2.so.0: open failed: No such file or
    directory
    Killed

    I then used your suggestion and re-linked the xscanimage program
    with the library path specified with both the -L and -R arguments
    and it now runs but I'm back to the problem of it not finding my scanner
    on /dev/scg1c, which it DID do for a short time.

    --
    Greg Gulik                                 http://www.drivingevents.com/
    greg@gulik.org or greg@gagme.com           http://www.gagme.com/~greg/