support for HP 3400C or 4300C?

From: Dominique Bouix (domimail@tonnikala.org)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 04:09:08 PST

    Hi there!.

    I've been using a Scantak 2c for the last few years (only supported by
    Windows), and finally yesterday it reported some error - being sick and
    tired of always rebooting just to scan an image - I now urgently (read:
    within 4 hours) need to buy a new scanner.

    I really want it to be supported under SANE, that's my secondary
    requirement. My first requirement is, that it not be a USB-scanner, I simply
    don't have a USB port on _any_ of my machines.

    I've got a store fairly nearby which lists two products that interest me:

    HP ScanJet 3400C
    HP ScanJet 4300C

    I was originally going to buy a Plustek which I had reserved, but when I
    went to the store (another one), they didn't have it (wasted about 1 hour)!

    My question is, searching for the keywords '4300C' and '3400C', I haven't
    found anything on the sane-devel list - are these two supported?

    Both of them have both USB and parallel port connectors. I could also buy a
    SCSI one in the worst case.

    The URL I'm shopping from (http://www.dmt.fi/komponentit.php3?gid=84)
    doesn't have that many scanners in the price range I want (max. 1000 FIM),
    but I'm trying.

    I'd really appreciate anyone 's assistance in my hour of need - I'll offer a
    pint or two if you're in Helsinki ever ;>

    regards,
    Dominique L. Bouix