Re: Setting up HP ScanJet 5P on Solaris 8 SPARC

From: Gregory Gulik (greg@gulik.org)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 08:32:24 PST

    John Craig wrote:
    > >From your probe-scsi output, it seems kind of strange, because you have 2
    > scsi busses, but both of them say "unit 0" I don't know if this is normal
    > or not. In any case, I don't know if the generic scsi driver from Joerg
    > Schillig plays well with this setup, or even if it supports Solaris 8. Oh
    > well.

    Yes, this computer does have two SCSI busses. It's an AXi based motherboard
    which came that way. There are two "unit 0" because there are two buses.
    That's why the SCG driver created /dev/scg0 and /dev/scg1.

    > At least you have XVscan. Did you get this working with the commercial
    > generic scsi driver for solaris that they sell together with XVscan? Does it
    > come with documentation? Is this conflicting with Schillig's generic scsi
    > driver?

    I bought it with the commercial SCSI driver SG-lite which came as a
    binary with very little docs. The most I got was from the README
    that came with it:

    Please direct all questions to us at tummy.com, ltd. via e-mail at
    <sg@tummy.com> or by viewing our WWW page at "http://www.tummy.com/sg".

    I have no idea if it's conflicting and don't have any way of knowing.
    I guess one way is to install the 64-bit SCG driver and reboot in 64
    bit mode as there is no 64 bit SG driver. Well, there is, but the
    writer was WAY too much money for a driver I only need for occasional
    home scanning needs.

    > As far as my setup, it is a Sparc4 running Solaris 7, and an Acer 610ST
    > scanner. Right now, it scans locally, and supports network scanning, but
    > using the preview function causes the scanning client (frontend) to crash,
    > so when you are scanning, you are "flying blind." You can define the scan
    > area roughly according to the position your document is in on the scanning
    > surface, and you get an image of that area, no problem, but not being able
    > to preview sucks. This is driving me nuts, because I can't see any reason
    > why this should happen.

    Hmmm... Does it work with the GIMP plug-in??

    > I may try moving the whole setup to an Ultrasparc 10 box that we have here,
    > and seeing if I have any better luck on a newer 64 bit machine.

    This is a 64-bit machine, 440Mhz cpu, running Solaris 8, so that's pretty
    recent stuff and I can't even get scanimage to work at all!!!

    Thanks for everyone's help.

    --
    Greg Gulik                                 http://www.drivingevents.com/
    greg@gulik.org or greg@gagme.com           http://www.gagme.com/~greg/