Re: Setting up HP ScanJet 5P on Solaris 8 SPARC

From: John Craig (jcraig@agen.ufl.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 13:43:59 PST

    I have some ideas that may or may not help much, but at least I have a
    scanner that somewhat works on a Sun sparc. You will not see a device similar
    to scg0e in /dev. If the generic driver is set up properly, you will just see
    /dev/scg0, however, you have to specify something like /dev/scg0x in your
    hp.conf file. The x is replaced by a letter "a" if the scanner is scsi id 0,
    "b" if it is scsi id 1, etc. In my case, I have a scanner on scsi id 4, so
    the device is /dev/scg0e. Of course, you have to make sure it is not
    conflicting with any other device on your scsi chain, and adjust the scsi id
    setting accordingly. In my case, the default scsi id for the scanner was 6,
    but that conflicted with the cdrom, so I changed the setting to 4.

    How can you tell the scsi id (or scsi target) settings of your drives? I am
    running Solaris7, but as far as I know the only way to get a printout of the
    scsi devices on a Solaris box is to halt the operating system with a "Stop a"
    and type "probe-scsi" at the ok prompt, and they recommend you reboot after
    doing that. Unfortunately, there is no /proc/scsi on Solaris like there is on
    Linux.

    If you can see the scanner on the probe-scsi listing, you can then get the
    "Target" number and set up the device setting is
    /usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf, an make sure hp is not commented in dll.conf.
    If all that is done, you should see the scanner when you type "scanimage -L"
    If so, let me know. I have other problems with my setup, maybe you can help
    me with them.

    John Craig