Acer 640U: is it wrecked?

From: Shea Martin (snowsquirrel@home.com)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 08:19:44 PST

    I have posted a lot re: this scanner. I had it working under sane1.0.1. Had to format hard drive, and now trying to get it working with latest SNAPSCAN backed, and sane 1.0.4.

    The scanner will generally start scanning, but can never make it through an entire scan. The sound (of it working) usally comes to a halt, following by a lengthy pause, and then I get an error message saying that there was a failure with devie i/o. I tried using the snapscan debugging, but I know little and it did not help. (This debug info is posted here http://playstation.webhostme.com/other/snapscan_debug_output.txt, if you want to take a look at it go ahead.)

    If I then power off the scanner, the lamp finally resets itself. If I view the outputpic.pnm, it usually only has the 1st 1" of the scan (if I am lucky), often it is empy. It seems to get farther into the scan if I have left it alone for a few days.

    I am going to go through the messy ordeal of installing windows on an old hard-drive today, to see if it works at all.

    My question is basically this, is this scanner dead, or is it a software problem? Do you know of anyone with this scanner working under 1.0.4?

    ~Martin