Re: HP Scanjet 3300 [also Re: HP 3400 scanner information]

From: Oliver Neukum (Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 01:29:38 PST

    > >To me this protocol is absolutly alien.
    > >It has _no_ connection to the protocol of the 5300.
    >
    > That's really a pity. I thought those 8-byte vectors could be a kind
    > of a ``SCSI scanner'' like command. Anyway, rev-eng is fun (I hope).

    You are refering to those:

    The 8-byte vectors I have found in the hp4300 log file are:

    01 01 00 00 60 00 00 00
    ^ ^
    | +--- hi-byte (length)
    +------ lo-byte (length)

    00 00 00 00 2a 5d 00 00

    This one is from the hp3300 log file:

    01 00 00 00 38 dc 00 00a

    At first glance no, at the second glance I've changed my mind.
    A scsi command is usually 6 bytes. It may be 10 or 12 bytes, but never 8.
    If it indeed is scsi then it is encapsulated. If you strip of the leading two
    bytes the one in the example might be a scsi INQUIRY command.
    If this is true the example should have resulted in a reply of 0x60 bytes.
    Could you check ?

    In addition you should then find a transfer of type III resulting in 00.

    If this turns out to be the case, I'd suggest that you use usb-storage,
    protocol CB on the scanner. It might just work and save you a lot of trouble.

            HTH
                    Oliver