Re: Cannot access my scanner as normal user

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 11:39:19 PST

    On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 09:19:57PM +0100, Raphael Mack wrote:
    > I have a Mustek 6000P scanner and can scan when I am root. If i try to
    > scan as normal user scanimage doesn't find any device.

    With newer Linux kernels only root has the permission to access
    /dev/port or use inb/outb. So you must start the frontends as root or
    set them to suid root (not recommended).

    > I also tried to
    > use the net-backend, but this ends in an seg fault.
    > What is wrong here? Do I have to set any accessrights?

    In principle, using the net backend for this is possible (if it's
    started by root). There seem to be a bug in the net backend that
    results in segmentation faults if it's used on localhost. For me
    increasing the DEBUG level decreases the chance of segfaults.

    SANE_DEBUG_NET=255 xscanimage

    Bye,
      Henning