Re: Scanner config: Microtek 3E

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 12:04:28 PST

    On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 12:54:20PM -0500, kate@kens.com wrote:
    > I've successfully installed SuSE 7.0, and am trying to get the scanner to
    > work.
    >
    > Its a Microtek E3 that worked under windows as is - so we can rule out
    > cord or termination problems, I am told.

    Sometimes Linux drivers are more critical conecrning termination and
    cable issues. So maybe you want to check this also (Termination at
    both ends, cable is how long?)

    > SCSI card advansys revA ASC3150 on an IDE system.
    >
    > The SCSI adapter is recognized no problem, sane is installed, the scanner
    > is recognized under 'scanimage -L' as a Mikrotec 3E. So far, so good.

    At least the SCSI driver seems to work in principle.
    Some drivers need options to get them working with scanners, e.g.
    disable disconnect/reconnect. I don't know this driver so you may want
    to look ath the documentation of the scsi driver.

    > Starting xscanimage offers a selection box that differs from the booklet.
    > (I have the personal version - no big manual included) The booklet shows a
    > box that includes;
    >
    > pnm:0
    > pnm:1
    > Microtek:/dev/scanner
    > Microtek:/dev/sga
    >
    > My box shows only;
    >
    > Microtek:/dev/scanner
    > Microtek:/dev/sga
    >
    > I do not know if this is relevant.

    It isn't. The pnm entries are test backends. They are commented out by
    default in newer SANE releases. Probably the manual was written for an
    older version.

    > This is the error message generated:
    >
    > scanimage:sane_start: Error during device I/O

    It looks like something in the SCSI mlayer went wrong. The error
    message could be more clear :-) Is there any output from the SCSI
    controller in the syslog (/var/log/messages)?

    > The manual also refers to the 'sgcheck' command - there is no sign of this
    > on my system. It does not work. But my hardward guy assures me there is no
    > problem with the addressing.

    sgcheck just looks for SCSI devices and prints out the coresponding
    device file. As SANE finds your scanner, you don't need sgcheck.

    > I did save the output of SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK to a url if anyone wants to
    > look at it:
    >
    > http://www.katewerk.com/file.txt

    "The requested URL /file.txt was not found on this server."
    The file is there but the permissions may be wrong.

    Bye,
      Henning