Re: Suggested adding target install-strip for sane

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 08:45:48 PST

    Kevin Dalley wrote:

    > I suggest that a new target be added to the Makefiles for
    > sane-frontends (and sane-backends). I find the target useful since
    > the standard for the Debian distribution is to install binaries
    > stripped. This target is convenient.
    >
    > Here's a description of the install-strip target from the GNU
    > standards document:
    >
    > `install-strip'
    > Like `install', but strip the executable files while installing
    > them. In many cases, the definition of this target can be very
    > simple:
    >
    > install-strip:
    > $(MAKE) INSTALL_PROGRAM='$(INSTALL_PROGRAM) -s' \
    > install
    >
    > Normally we do not recommend stripping an executable unless you
    > are sure the program has no bugs. However, it can be reasonable
    > to install a stripped executable for actual execution while saving
    > the unstripped executable elsewhere in case there is a bug.

    Hi Kevin,

    I think if we add that option we will get in trouble with our error reports.
    I see no great problem with the not stripped libraries, it does cost a bit
    of harddiskspace, not much else. But I see the problems we get because a lot
    of users will install the stripped libs and we are not able to do debugging.

    If someone really needs it, it should be no problem for him to change
    the Makefile and add a "-s", - although I do not see a reason at all to
    create stripped libs.

    Bye
    Oliver

    --