Re: Excessive Warnings from CVS build

From: Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 00:26:48 PST

    I am using gcc 2.95.2 on a Suse 6.4 distribution. Most of the 6500
    warnings "warning: pointer of type `void *' used in arithmetic" are
    generated by the inline functions that replace a memset() or something
    else. One memset() generates 13 warnings for the same line of source
    code. Therefore I dont care about them.

    --Peter

    Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 12:29:02AM -0600, Michael Vanecek wrote:
    > > I'm using GCC 2.95.1 and when building the latest CVS I get tons of
    > > "warning: pointer of type `void *' used in arithmetic" - The gcc isn't
    > > the stock one that came with my RH7.2 dist, but one I installed later
    > > and have been using successfully for months. Has there been another
    > > update that allows this, or is this just a product of CVS development
    > > that will clear up when the next sane version is released?
    >
    > I don't get these warnings (but tons of others). I'm using gcc 2.95.2,
    > maybe 2.95.1 is somewhat special in this case. When releasing we
    > decrease the level of warnings (you can try out this with
    > configure --disable-warnings).
    >
    > Bye,
    > Henning

    Peter Kirchgessner