"customised" scanner query

From: Richard Beare (Richard.Beare@cmis.CSIRO.AU)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 18:14:26 PST

    Hi all,

    I have an application that is somewhat unusual and I'd be interested in hearing
    peoples opinion. The application uses an XY table and the aim is to capture a
    large image of the work area using a scanner. The option I'm thinking about is
    to use the head and electronics from a standard desktop unit and use the
    XY stage to move it around rather than the inbuilt motors and belts. This is
    likely to require some significant reworking of the sane back end to provide
    links with the xy stage software. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions
    that might be worth checking out. Does anyone know where scanner internals
    might be available from in smallish numbers? Are there products better suited
    to this kind of work. (I'd like to avoid conventional industrial linescan
    cameras for cost reasons)

    All advice is welcome

    Thanks.

    --
    Richard Beare, CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
    Locked Bag 17, North Ryde, NSW 1670, Australia

    Richard.Beare@cmis.csiro.au