Re: New backends for SANE 1.0.4

From: Levente NOVAK (novak@jaguar.dote.hu)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 00:33:43 PST

    On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Karsten Festag wrote:

    > > Did you made any improvements to the microtek2 backend since I sent you
    > > the debug output from Wine for my Phantom 636CX? If so, could you send me
    > > the latest versions of microtek2.c and microtek2.h?
    >
    > I made many changes, mostly for my Phantom 330CX. But now I'm fairly
    > satisfied with the quality and I will look if I can do now something for
    > the 636CX.
    > The log from wine and scantest that you sent me showed that there are
    > some greater differences between our models. In your log there is no
    > shading compensation visible (which eliminates the stripes). Can you see
    > if the image in the scantest programm has stripes?

    I didn't see stripes with the 19990704 version of Wine, but as you know
    certainly, the image is rather small, so I'm not sure 100% that there
    aren't any stripes... Compared to a "real" Windows scantest scan, the
    image seems to be the same.

    > By the way: Have you got a windows program which works correctly?
    > Perhaps we can find the missing dll's to get it work with wine.

    No, unfortunately, scantest32 is the only one that works. The 16bit ASPI
    doesn't work, and as I have only a very old Win3.1, I suspect that
    scanning with a "real" Win32 application requires some system dll's which
    I don't have (all these programs crash or block before being able to scan
    anything). Wine was asking for some dll's which I copied from a Win95
    machine into Wine's System directory, but without success. Now at least
    Wine doesn't ask for them, but still no scans :)

    > Do you hear different noises between a Windows and a Linux scan at the
    > beginning of the scan when you scan with the same resolution?

    No as I remember, but will have a look onto this at home.
    Another point: there is an option calibrate-bakend or so in Bernd's
    version of microtek2, and before he disappeared from the list, Bernd tried
    to make this backend calibration work for the Phantom 636cx.
    Unfortunately, the backend was unable to determine (?) the length of the
    horizontal calibration line because of some spurious bytes, as I
    understood it (for the exact explanation, see Bernd's mails on this
    list in december-january), and it crashed when this option was on.

    > > It would be nice to use my Phantom with Linux (it works physically with
    > > Bernd Schroeder's version of microtek2, but the image quality is very
    > > poor).
    >
    > Perhaps a logfile with Bernd's backend would be useful for me, can cou
    > send me one with "option dump 3" in the microtec2.conf file and
    > "SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK2=128" ?

    I'll post you them this evening.
    Thanks again.

    Greetings,