Re: SCSI and HP 5P Scanner

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 09:15:30 PST

    On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 02:10:35PM -0500, William Lott wrote:
    > problem=When I installed Mandrake 7.1 I was able to indicate that the
    > computer had an Adaptec AHA 2940 UU W bios SCSI card. I had hoped to
    > attach my HP 5P scanner to this card. When I went to run xscanimage or
    > scanimage, I get the message that no scanner is attached. I then went
    > to the program (HardDrake ??) that identifies hardware on your computer.
    > My Adaptec AIC-7881U card shows, the AHA 2940UUW does not.

    Is there any info about your card in dmesg|less or /var/log/messages?
    My aha2940 is supported by the driver "aic7xxx" and I think both your
    internal 7881 and your PCI 2940UW should work with this driver. I'm
    not sure if you need to give any kernel options to let the driver
    recognize both SCSI adapters but I don't think so.

    > I notice when I boot the computer ( a Compaq) that the computer sees
    > the AHA 2940 but does not turn on or install the bios on the card.

    That's ok. The BIOS is only needed if you want to boot from a SCSI
    disk on this controller. But you should see the scanner identification
    before the "bios not installed" message. The scanner must be turned on
    before the computer boots. If you can't see a line with the scanner
    identification on startup, probably something is wrong with your
    cables, termination or scanner.

    > Please advise as to what would be the route most likely to get the
    > scanner recognized so that I can use it to scan some material and the
    > steps I need to follow to get the system up and running. Thanks.

    When your scanner is recognized by your SCSI-adapter (cat
    /proc/scsi/scsi will print something about your scanner) start reading
    the README file in the SANE distribution and man sane-hp.

    Bye,
      Henning