Re: [snapscan] Core testing group

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 02:05:07 PST

    Lawrence Glaister wrote:

    > Hi Tim and the group,
    > I'm not sure what version of the snapscan 1212u you are running, but mine
    > (a 1212u_2) requires a firmware download before it is recognized by the
    > sane code. Is the led on the front of your scanner indicating steady on?
    > This
    > means the scanner is ready for commands. If it is flashing, it means busy
    > and if
    > it flashes out a code, then it is confused with some kind of error.
    > I dont have the link handy, but there is a download script for loading the
    > scanner
    > firmware. I wonder if we should consider adding this code to sane... I keep
    > forgetting how to load mine. It is on a ups and on all the time, so it is
    > typically
    > months between reloading the firmware. I havent had a chance to test the new
    > backend yet.
    > Any recommendations as to what kernel would be best to try? I have
    > 2.4.0-test9
    > running at the moment.

    This is an issue common to a number of USB scanners, and no doubt other USB
    devices. The long term solution must be to make the formware download
    transparent, but what is the appropriate method? Is this really part of the
    "oh, we have an XXX, do we?" activity, where we should add a "We have some
    download code for an XXX, so lets feed it" step. Or is this a sane startup, "we
    have an XXX, but the stupid thing isn't talking to us. Lets try a firmware
    download, and see if that helps" step. The second sounds good, as it bundles
    the driver and firmware together, which seems sane (or is that SANE). On the
    other hand, I understand some scanners announce themselves differently once a
    firmware download is complete. Does anyone have ideas (or better yet plans) in
    this area?

    Regards,
    Steve