Re: xscanimage Error

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 14:31:00 PDT

    inetd.conf and services look ok.

    On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 02:02:20PM -0600, SoloCDM wrote:
    > I made a soft link for /dev/scanner to /dev/sga and changed the bits
    > to 660 for /dev/sga and /dev/sge.

    > I entered the following lines in /etc/sane.d/mustek.conf as the second
    > scanner option:
    >
    > /dev/sge
    > option linedistance-fix
    > option lineart-fix # lineart may be faster with this
    > option off.

    You mean after the scsi MUSTEK ... entries? Or is this the only entry?
    I don't understand your configuration. Is your scanner connected to /dev/sga
    or /dev/sge? /dev/sge means that you have at least 4 other SCSI devices.

    > I ran xscanimage and the following occurred.

    If you run xscanimage like this:

    SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=5 xscanimage

    you can see excactly what the Mustek backend does and which devices it
    connects to and why (linenumber of mustek.conf).

    > kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
    > kernel: parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
    > kernel: ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
    > kernel: ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
    > kernel: ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use PS/2
    > kernel: ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using PS/2
    > kernel: scsi0 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
    > kernel: scsi : 1 host.
    > kernel: Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: J.03
    > kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI
    > revision: 02 kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0,
    > channel 0, id 6, lun 0 kernel: sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
    > kernel: sda : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
    > kernel: sda : extended sense code = 2
    > kernel: sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
    > kernel: sda:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
    > kernel: unable to read partition table

    Probably the "scsi MUSTEK ..." entries activated your zip. With these
    entries all sg* devices are scanned for Mustek scanners. If you don't like
    this remove the scsi entries in mustek.conf and use only /dev/scanner. But
    maybe I didn't understand the problem ... Could you send the result of "cat
    /proc/scsi/scsi"?

    > I do have a parallel port Iomega drive, which I haven't attempted to
    > access yet (obviously xscanimage did).

    Yes, without accessing it can't know if it's a scanner or other device.

    Bye,
      Henning