Re: Problems with Acer ScanPrisa 640S

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 20:10:45 PDT

    Sebastien Sable wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org> writes:
    >
    > > Is that really helpful? The 1.0.1 backend is very different from the 1.0.3 -
    > > a major rewrite, in fact. The 1.0.3 backend is clearly the future (it wasn't
    > > rewritten without good reason), so why not concentrate on improving that, and
    > > leave the old versions behind. Multiple versions not only dissipate
    > > development effort, but encouraging people to try them will just reduce
    > > feedback on the most interesting version - the latest.
    >
    > I'm not sure about it but, from what I read, at least those models:
    > Acer 300f, Acer 320U, snapscan 310s, Agfa 1212u and Agfa 1236s used to
    > work well with sane-1.0.1 but they block while scanning with
    > sane-1.0.3 in high resolution.
    > If we could find the small bug there, I'm sure everybody would be
    > happy to use the latest bleeding edge technology.

    I think the key problem with those models has recently been fixed by Lawrence
    Glaister. I'm sure other issues persist, but as far as I know the 1.0.3 backend +
    his changes works pretty well.

    I updated the backend to merge the colours properly in May. Since then I have had
    little feedback. Lawrence is the first person to fully work through anything from
    "I have a problem" to "I have a cure" since then. People need some serious coaxing
    to follow through on their problems. Multiple software versions don't help. The
    large number of models supported by this backend, and the
    informationally-retentive attitude of the two main vendors, means that effective
    user feedback is the only way to debug.

    Perhaps this is why the original author walked away, and dumped the project?

    Regards,
    Steve