Problems with Acer ScanPrisa 640S

From: Patrik Stähli (domitian@bluewin.ch)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 10:03:12 PDT

    Hi

    I just bought an Acer ScanPrisa 640S SCSI Scanner (Acard SCSI controller
    included).

    I applied the suggested modification
    (http://www.mostang.com/mail-archive/sane-devel/2000-09/0180.html) to
    the snapscan driver.

    The following happens when I try to scan:
    1) xsane starts ok
    2) as soon as I press the 'scan' or 'preview' button, xsane crashes with
    a 'Floating Point Exception'.
    After that, it's not even possible to detect the scanner any more (e.g.
    with scanimage -L) - the programs just hang when they try to access
    /dev/sg0.

    It's exactly the same with xscanimage...

    Here are the details:

    output of 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi':
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
    Vendor: Color Model: FlatbedScanner18 Rev: 0060
    Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02

    Debug output of sane dll and snapscan backend is here:
    http://n.ethz.ch/student/staehlip/download/sane.log

    My system:
    K6-III 400
    128MB RAM
    ASUS P55T2P4
    SuSE 6.4
    Kernel 2.4-test9

    I even tried it with another SCSI controller (Adaptec AVA1505 ISA):
    with this controller xsane crashes even while looking for scanners...

    There's another strange problem I experienced:
    After xsane or scanimage crashed, the SCSI controller seems to crash the
    system (after some SCSI timeout & 'trying harder' messages in the
    logfile) - any ideas?

    I hope you have some hints for me - I'm not that keen on writing new
    drivers (especially if I don't have at least a more or less concrete
    idea of where the problem lies)...

    cheers
    Patrik