Problems with saned/net backend

From: mh (moloch@nikocity.de)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 03:18:02 PDT

    I'm trying to do some tests with the net backend, saned and the plustek
    backend.
    I'm using sane-1.0.3 on SuSE-Linux 7.0 and the latest plustek driver
    with an OpticPro 600P.

    My saned.conf
    ###
    localhost

    and my dll.conf
    net
    pnm
    plustek

    I added the following to /etc/services
    sane 6566/tcp # network scanner daemon

    and to /etc/inetd.conf
    sane stream tcp nowait mh.users /usr/local/sbin/saned saned

    When I do a
    scanimage -L, I get the following:

    device `pnm:0' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
    device `pnm:1' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
    device `plustek:/dev/pt_drv' is a Plustek 600P/6000P flatbed scanner
    device `net:localhost:pnm:0' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
    device `net:localhost:pnm:1' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
    device `net:localhost:plustek:/dev/pt_drv' is a Plustek 600P/6000P flatbed scanner

    Now I'm trying to scan with the following command:

    scanimage -d net:localhost:plustek:/dev/pt_drv >out.pnm

    The scanner lamp turns on, the scanner makes a short awfull noise 'cause it hits
    the scanbed (a backend problem?).
    Then scanning continues quite normal. After scanning is done, I get the
    following message:

    scanimage: stopping scanner...
    scanimage: stopping scanner...
    This message is printed endlessly until I kill scanimage.
    The pnm backend seems to work.
    XScanimage works with the plustek backend(but the sensor
    hits the scanbed too).
    Does someone have an idea what's going on here?

    Thanks a lot,

    Michael