Re: remove option -pedantic from standard gcc options?

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 08:32:40 PDT

    [Jochen Eisinger]
    > By default, configure invokes gcc with option -pedantic, which
    > produces some senseless warning messages (ANSI C doesn't allow
    > macros with variable arguments...)

    Well, it does also produce some sensible warnings, and help the
    programmer to discover bugs and portability issues.

    > Maybe we should add another option like --with-pedantic to
    > configure, or IMO better remove it all (the gcc info page says it's
    > a senseless option)

    I do not think it will be a good idea. During development, the
    compiler should be giving as many warnings as possible, on
    non-portable and bad constructs in the source. When we make a
    release, most of these warning flags are taken out, to avoid confusing
    the users.

    (After all, vararg macros are not ANSI C, and every SANE programmer
    should be reminded about this. :-)

    --
    ##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere@td.org.uit.no