Re: [SnapScan] color problem 300dpi

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 19:42:42 PDT

    Sebastien Sable wrote:

    > Sebastien Sable <sebastien.sable@gmx.net> writes:
    >
    > > * while the picture looks fine most of the time, I have problems with
    > > big pictures in high resolution; in 300dpi GreyScale the scanner needs
    > > to stop and go back producing a picture with traces; in 300dpi Color,
    > > the scanner blocks in the middle of the scan.
    > > This problem is probably the same reported by Lawrence Glaister
    > > before, but his proposed correction doesn't work in my case.
    >
    > I tracked this one a bit further. It does not exist in
    > sane-1.0.1. Indeed, my scanner works perfectly well with this version
    > even at 300dpi Colour with big pictures.
    >
    > I tried snapscan-0.7, snapscan-0.8 and they work as well. The problem
    > only happens with snapscan-1.0 (the new snapscan-source code) and
    > newer.
    > This would confirm that this is the same pb Lawrence Glaister
    > experienced.

    There was a major rewrite of the SnapScan back-end between 0.8 and 1.0, and
    the author abandoned the work a few percent from the end. This would
    explain a number of issues people may be having when they say Sane 1.0.1
    worked, but later versions do not. The author not only did not finish, he
    also did not possess all models of scanner to try his new code on. Most
    people aren't very good at feeding back useful bug reports, so......

    Regards,
    Steve