xsane and blackwidow scanner

From: Paul Stear (paul@appjaws.co.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 10:07:04 PDT

    With the help of simon I now have my Blackwidow 9636PRO scanner
    working with sane, patched with pie-sane-4.patch.gz. I have
    installed xsane - do I need a patch for this?
    When I run xsane I get the following message
            error in loading shared libraries: libsane.so.1: cannot open
    The xsane problems page says:-
    - If you get an error message that libsane-dll.so.1 or libsane-so.1 is not found, you have to
      tell your system where the SANE-libraries are installed.
       - For sane-1.0.1 you have to edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add a line with the path to the
         libraries (normally /usr/local/lib/sane), then call ldconfig.
         THIS MUST BE DONE AS ROOT!
       - For sane-1.0.2 (and later versions) the path to the xsane libs MUST NOT be listed
         in /etc/ld.so.conf

    Question 1 I am using sane-1.0.3 --- How do I tell the system the
                    location of SANE-libraries?

    Question 2 The file xsane-install gives instructions if the user
    uses KDE could some kind expert tell me how I
            call configure with environment variable CPPFLAGS set to
                "-DXSANE_BUGGY_WINDOWMANAGER_WINDOW_POSITION".

    This is an extract from xsane-install
    COMPILATION AND INSTALLATION: -----------------------------
    DO THE FOLLOWING AS NORMAL USER, NOT AS ROOT:
    - Unpack the xsane archiv in a directory of your choice.
    - Enter xsane-0.xx directory.
    - To compile call ./configure and make.
      - If you use kwm (KDE window manager), call configure with environment
        variable CPPFLAGS set to
        "-DXSANE_BUGGY_WINDOWMANAGER_WINDOW_POSITION".
      - When you already called ./configure it may be good to do a
           make distclean
        before you call ./configure again.
        If that does not work, remove config.cache:
          rm -f config.cache

    Thanks in advance
    regards
    Paul
     --
    This message has been sent using Mandrake Linux and kmail