Re: Back-end support for Relisys scanner?

From: Mark Plowman (mplowman@wxs.nl)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 05:10:29 PDT

    Dear All,

    Since my last post about back-end support for the "Relisys Scorpio
    Super 3 SCSI II" scanner I have had various email contacts and
    gathered together a few resources.

    Tyler Bindon <martica@martica.org> had been working on a back-end
    early last year and had starting getting it to work, but he lost all
    his code (and more importantly, his motivation) when a disk crashed on
    him!

    He had not got a specification, but had been reverse engineering the
    ASPI calls of the Win95 TWAIN driver using a ASPI logging tool from Ed
    Hamrick of www.hamrick.com.

    I have installed Win 95 on a partition of my machine (Ugh!), have got
    a copy of the logging tool from Ed Hamrick, and can now generate
    (extensive) logs of the ASPI activity.

    Now...

      Who (anyone? - please!) wants to join me into trying to get this
      little beasty running?

      Can anyone (who is sensible enough to remain at a safe distance ;-})
      give me pointers to help me not "reinvent the wheel"?

    I think that it only fair to point out what I am and what I am not:

      I am an experienced programmer who has been at it for the last
      20-odd (!) years.

      I have never done a collaborative, open source project before.

      I am a lousy project manager (and don't want to be a good one)!

      I have a life, a wife, two growing children and a job. Any one of
      them will start complaining in I spend *too* much time behind this
      box.

    What are my/our (?) chances?

    Mark

    --