Re: sane-devel mailing list blocking non-subscribers

From: David Mosberger-Tang (David.Mosberger@acm.org)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 11:02:46 PDT

    >>>>> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:44:04 +0800, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> said:

      Petter> If I remember correctly, the mailing list is blocking
      Petter> non-subscribers from posting messages. This is done to
      Petter> avoid spam reaching the mailing list.

    Yup. I filter out large amounts of spam due to sane-devel every week.

      Petter> I suspect this is a major blocker for many of willing SANE
      Petter> contributors. At least, I have asked at least a handfull of
      Petter> people to send their patch and suggestions to the list, and
      Petter> never seen their contribution.

    Ask them to cc you directly or tell them to subscribe to the list.

      Petter> I disovered today that the blocking behaviour isn't
      Petter> described on the mailing list web page,
      Petter> <URL:http://www.mostang.com/sane/mail.html>. I suggest at
      Petter> least adding a paragraph with a warning for those like me is
      Petter> reading the mailing list on the web.

    There is a reason why it wasn't there. However, I'm willing to
    experiment with putting a notice there. If spams make it through
    because of this note, we'll have to remove it again (and hope it's not
    too late already!).

            --david