Re: authorization support (TODO list)

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 00:29:18 PDT

    Jochen Eisinger wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Since nobody seems to be interested in participating activly, I'll start
    > working on these two points by myself.
    >
    > Has anyone suggestions what such an interface should be able to do
    > (except of the general guidelines for user authentification in the SANE
    > standard 1.01)?
    >
    > -- jochen
    >

    > > > * make authorization_callback work in net-backend and saned
    >
    > > > * add sanei_authorize (function for all backends)

    Hi Jochen,

    I think the scanner admin could have different wishes:
    1) a separate user/password list, may be a general or backend or device specific:
    sane.passwd, umax.passwd, microtec.passwd etc.
    2) usage of /etc/passwd (if the user is logged in on the local machine
    no test, if he is connected via net use /etc/passwd for authorization

    This should be selectable for each backend or device, so I suggest to
    set an option in the backend.conf that is read by the backend and
    passes the option to sanei_authorization_*

    eg:

    umax.conf:
    authorization system
    /dev/scanner
    authorization none
    /dev/sgd
    authorization sane.passwd
    /dev/sga
    authorization umax.passwd
    /dev/sgc
    authorization system, umax.passwd, sane.passwd
    /dev/sgd

    none => everyone can connect
    system => /etc/passwd
    sane.passwd => /SANEDATADIR/sane.passwd