newbie tryin to use SANE w/ webcam

From: Keith Warno (pr0n@optonline.net)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 06:31:02 PDT

    Greetings SANE people. :)

    Yes, I am new to SANE so please be gentle!

    I grabbed SANE 1.0.3 yesterday and I must say the compile process
    produced a LOT of warnings, mostly about unused variables and
    comparisons between signed and unsigned. My compiler is relatively
    old; it's the stock egcs compiler from SuSE 6.2 ("gcc version
    egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)"). The compile
    process was also pretty slow; my machine is lightly loaded and
    relatively fast (pIII 500, 256MB RAM, blah blah). I'm just
    wondering if all these things are "normal" for the SANE 1.0.3 build
    process. I should also mention that I didn't do anything funky with
    the configure, just a standard config with a --prefix.

    On to the real issue. I have an old US Robotics Big Picture
    camera. This thing comes with a video capture board made by
    Hauppaugue Computer Works, the Win/TV people. The board is the
    "Brooktree Bt848 (rev 17)". The kernel (2.2.17) has the bttv built
    in but I haven't been able to get the camera to do anything at all
    with SANE, or with any programs for that matter.

    I tried using xcam but it gives me nothing. I would have expected
    the capture board to show up in xcam's device list but it
    doesn't. It's no where to be found.

    xcam seems to have a few issues. It's segfaulted on me a number of
    times. Namely when attempting to change stuff in the Preferences
    menu (like "Show Advanced Options"). Maybe my gtk version is
    flaky? I have both glib and gtk version 1.2.8. :/

    In any case, this camera is the only piece of hardware I can't get
    to function in Linux. 'Tis frustrating; if anyone has any pointers
    please pass them along. I'll be thankful for any help.

    Regards,
    kw