Re: SANE on Linux/x86 with SCSI ISA card

From: Ivo (death@metalfield.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 09:32:28 PDT

    > I don't think that the sym53c8xx driver will work with the 53c80 chip.
    > The designs of the old fashioned 5380 and of the more modern 53c8xx chip
    > series are quite different.

    Nope, reading the README.ncr53c8xx I understood that the sym53c8xx driver
    supports some of the functions on newer cards, dropping support for the older
    ones. Since the older drivers will also work with newer cards, I think that one
    will be best for me.

    But I thought all those ncr SCSI adapters were PCI cards, while mine is an ISA
    card? Maybe I'm wrong here, but the kernel menuconfig <Help> says about the
    NCR53C8XX driver that "This is the BSD ncr driver adapted to Linux for the
    NCR53C8XX family of PCI-SCSI controllers". Don't know the difference with the
    NCR53c7,8xx driver, but PCI is not mentioned there, perhaps that one will work.

    I still doubt it, since the sane-scsi manpage claims that most Mustek scanners
    are shipped with lousy ISA SCSI cards and that you'll probably be better off
    with buying a cheap NCR card... *shrugs* I'll try, still. I figure, if it works
    fine under Windows, why can't it work allright under Linux? It's not like, a
    winscanner ;)

    Ivo