Re: sane-devel mailing list blocking non-subscribers

From: Christopher Wiggins (wiggins@cns.mpg.de)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 00:08:48 PDT

    > If I remember correctly, the mailing list is blocking non-subscribers
    > from posting messages. This is done to avoid spam reaching the
    > I suspect this is a major blocker for many of willing SANE
    > contributors. At least, I have asked at least a handfull of people to
    > send their patch and suggestions to the list, and never seen their
    > contribution.

    I think you may be right. I sent something as a non-subscriber, and did
    not realise that it did not and would not appear (this also means I was
    rather gruff with someone who mailed me who I thought had not properly
    read my posting, when in fact he couldnt have if he had wanted).

    I am not sure how much work it is to block the mail-perhaps depending on
    the system you can just set it to only accept those coming from people
    who are subscribed.

    What I did find a bit odd was that there was no notice that my mail was
    not accepted. I dont know how complicated it is, but a notice stating
    that my post was not accepted as a non-subscriber would have let me know
    that it had not got through. I think this would clear things up nicely,
    but again depends how easily it could be automated.

    Chris Wiggins