Re: SnapScan Backend

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 23:36:23 PDT

    Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

    > [Steve Underwood]
    > > Ooh, I wouldn't trust that guy with such an important task. I know
    > > him well, and consider him a pretty unreliable fellow. Not just
    > > that, but he only has one model of Acer scanner (a 610plus), so he
    > > isn't in the ideal position to support the range of models which the
    > > SnapScan backend handles. Add to that a hostile vendor, and its not
    > > a nice job for him.
    >
    > Well, I'm sure he will do better then no maintainer at all. At least
    > he got one scanner available. :-)
    >
    > Letting the code rot and eventually throw it away sounds like such a
    > bad alternative.

    This is a backend that certainly should not rot. The new Acer 640's are
    excellent value for money, and its a real shame the company's attitude
    sucks so much. Some good current Agfa scanners also depend on this backend.
    Its key problem is that so many similar, but not quite the same, scanners
    depend on it. I think that may make it one of the tougher backends to
    support. I think that other backends supporting a large range of scanners
    have some (at least minimal) vendor support.

    When my May update to the SnapScan backend escaped^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H was
    released I heard from a few people having problems with different models,
    but they didn't follow through with enough info to sort those problems out.
    Some of them were having problems with models which others said worked OK.
    That probably means they had different host environments, different
    firmware revisions, or such like. Without solid follow up from those having
    problems its rather demoralising trying to trace the cause.

    Steve