Re: acer 620 u

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 04:44:02 PDT

    Ramprasad Rao wrote:

    > Hi everyone -
    >
    > I was hoping to gt my acer prisa 620 u to work on linux. i followed all
    > the instructions and everything went smoothly till i started scanimage. This
    > gave a segfault. Same with xscanimage.
    >
    > -- i built usb/scanner as a module. after insmod the scanner was detected.
    > kernel 2.2.17pre10 with usb backport 2.4.0-test2
    >
    > -- ./acerfirm -v /dev/usbscanner u96v057.bin had effect on the scanner
    >
    > -- compiled sane-1.0.1 with the snapscan and acer patches and this went OK.
    >
    > My system is an iMac running linuxppc. Could my problems be related to my
    > machine arch (ppc instead of x86). has anyone with a linux system other
    > than intel gotten this device to work.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help - Ramprasad

    Try using the latest sane (1.0.3). It won't necessarily fix your problem, but
    what point is there in debugging an obsolete version? Some people seem to have
    1.0.3 running OK with the 620U on Intel machines. Of course, that doesn't mean
    it will necessarily be OK for you. You are the first person I have heard of
    trying this with a PPC machine.

    Good luck,
    Steve