short comment about graphical frontends

From: mh (moloch@nikocity.de)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 09:31:53 PDT

    Hi all,
    I don't know whether it's a well known problem, or whether it
    only occurs with the backend I'm using, or whether
    I should report it directly to the maintainers,but since the
    guys monitor this list anyway...

    I first noticed this when I tried to implement my own frontend.
    Sometimes the image size seemed to be wrong.
    Therfore I made a short test with xscanimage1.0.2 and xsane0.59...
    same problem :-(

    At least the backend I'm using (plustek V0.36-18)doesn't allow you
    to set a tlx/tly value that's bigger than the brx/bry value, even
    if this is only an intermediate state.

    That's very annoying when you want to adjust the scansize in the
    preview window in xsane/xscanimage.

    Let's say you selected a scanarea from 0,0 to 50,50 mm. Then you decide
    that you like to scan from 100,0 to 150,50 mm. But xsane/xscanimage
    resizes the rectangle to 50,0 /150,50 mm, because it tries to set the tlx value
    to 100 while the brx value is still 50, and that forces the backend to set the
    tlx value back to 50. (errm, is there someone who knows what I'm trying to
    say?).
    The result is, that I have to choose the scan area twice (most of the time)
    to finally get what I want :-(

    Just if this might be of interest for someone...

    bb Michael

    BTW One can work around this by setting the scan area to it's
    maximum size before trying to set the user values.