Re: quick note from the TWAIN/SANE meeting at OLS

From: Stephen Williams (steve@icarus.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 11:26:30 PDT

      Oliver> I think in the moment each scanner vendor does write it's
      Oliver> own GUI. So if they want to have a totally different look
      Oliver> they are free to write their own GUI.

    David.Mosberger@acm.org said:
    > It is interesting how scanner vendors insist on writing their own
    > frontends. Graphics cards vendors seem to be able to live with the
    > fact that, on Windows, all they can do is add a couple of tabs to the
    > "Display Properties" dialog. I think the Graphics card approach is
    > MUCH better because it gives users a (mostly) consistent user
    > interface, while still giving vendors a certain level of
    > differentiation

    Well, I think what scanner vendors in general want to do is be able to
    write their own dialog box that the user can use to configure the scanner
    in magical and scanner specific ways. At the TWAIN level, that sort of
    thing does make sense, I think. (At the SANE level, it does not as private
    tags are the way to handle these. I imagine this scanner specific dialog
    can use the standard SANE protocol to communicate.)

    Of course, I'm coming from the perspective of a high-performance scanner
    manufacturer where $0.05 worth of labor won't kill us, but not having
    the desired convenient access to Nifty Feature X really hurts.

    steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
    steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,