Re: Code freeze for 1.0.3

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 09:34:48 PDT

    On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 10:30:22AM +0800, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
    > [Henning Meier-Geinitz]
    > > What about OS/2 support? Is Jeff Freedman really working on this? URL?
    >
    > I believe Yuri Dario is working on this at the moment. I event tried
    > to integrate his patches into the distribution, but did not find time
    > to complete this. In addition to using sanei_config_read(), the OS/2
    > port needs wrappers for all calls to fork(), and a simple network fix.
    > I hope we get it in before 1.0.4.

    Fine. Meanwile I added http://www.quasarbbs.com/yuri/sane2.html as a link.
    Or is there a newer version?

    > [Oliver Rauch]
    > > We also should leave/add the backends that are not included into
    > > sane, don`t matter if they are two years old. It is better to start
    > > from a 2 year old code than to start from ZERO.
    >
    > I planed to use the .desc files for this purpose. This way all
    > available backends appear on the web page, and the users will be able
    > to find the backend if it exists. I believe every available backend
    > should be listed on the web page, even if they are old and close to
    > useless.

    I think we should add .descs and entries to the project file. I sent email
    to all the maintainers of backends I found in www. I will add these if they
    don't object to this.

    I also added entries in PROJECTS for the backends with existing .descs which
    are not yet included in SANE.

    I sent email to the other addresses in the PROJECTS file to ask if the
    entries are current or can be updated/removed.

    > Adding the .desc file is the least we can do for authors working on
    > sane backends, and they should only be removed if the backend source
    > is no longer available, or the author wants to take it away. Because
    > of this, I was a bit surprised when the musteka4s2.desc file as
    > removed. Was the removal coordinated with the author of the
    > musteka4s2 backend?

    The mustek_pp backend supports the scanner(s) supported by the musteka4s2
    backend (and some more I think). The original maintainer didn't have time to
    work on his backend so Jochen Eisinger wrote a new backend based on
    musteka4s2. I think he has changed and added a lot. I proposed to name this
    backend mustek_pp instead of musteka4s2 to avoid confusion. The backend
    supports the Mustek parallel port scanners. This series of scanners is
    called A4S2 (possibly ISO A4, series 2) but the ScanExpress SCSI models have
    the same name. If someone really wants to use the older msuteka4s2 backend
    he will find a link to it from the mustek_pp page.

    > There is also a BeOS port and frontend which should be listed in
    > PROJECTS. I'm not sure about the URL, but I did find it earlier using
    > google.com.

    I added this together with the link
    http://www.intuiware.com/Products/BeSANE/index.html

    I will wait for some answers to the emails before comitting a new version.

    Bye,
      Henning