Re: HP backend problem...

From: Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 11:59:46 PDT

    Jens Petersohn wrote:
    Hi Jens,

    I dont know how to solve the problem. But I think it must have something
    to do with the SCSI interface. The image looks like some bytes have been
    lost. Two of the strips in the image have exactly the same size of
    393216 Bytes == 384KB. One of strips is one byte more than 416KB. Both
    values are multiple of 32KB. If you have the sources of the hp-backend,
    you can try to change the value of HP_PIPEBUF in file hp-scl.c from
    32768 to 16384 or 4096. When the compilation was successful, you should
    see the new value in the log file with the messages "entering request to
    read num bytes" and "trying to read num bytes".
    I am not sure if this solves the problem and if so why.

    --Peter

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I couple of weeks ago I posted a message with a strange problem using
    > the hp backend on an Adaptec 2940 card. A couple of people replied
    > and I posted the log files to a web page.
    > A couple of folks looked at the logs, but I didn't get any response.
    > Perhaps I just missed them.
    > If anyone has any idea on how to proceed in getting this working
    > (debugging?) please let me know. Unforunately I'm not really
    > knowledgable on SCSI and and scanner interfaces, but I'm more
    > than willing to help. I would really like the scanner to work
    > with Linux.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > --Jens Petersohn
    >
    > P.S. The logs and a sample corrupted image are available at:
    > http://mccoy.penguinpowered.com/scanner
    >
    > --
    > Home: jkp@mccoy.penguinpowered.com Work: jkp@sgi.com
    >
    > The views expressed herein do not necessarily
    > represent the views of the author, let alone
    > anyone else!

    Peter Kirchgessner
    WWW:    http://www.kirchgessner.net
    e-mail: peter@kirchgessner.net