Backends using Kernel-Modules

From: Jaeger, Gerhard (gjaeger@sysgo.de)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 23:49:48 PDT

    Hi everybody,

    I'm currently maintaining the Plustek parallelport scanner project.
    We'd like to put the Plustek backend into the sane project.

    The problem is, that the Plustek driver consists of two parts.
    - a backend part
    - a kernel module part

    As sane is supposed to be portable and to support several
    platforms, a Linux kernel module shouldn't be part of the
    distribution.

    How can this dilemma be solved ?

    In my opinion there are two possibilities:

    1. Split up the project and distribute the kernel module separately
    2. Rewrite the kernelmodule and merge it to the backend-code by
          using the sane parallelport functions (I'm not sure if this will work)

    Any other suggestions ?

    Gerhard