sane.init() and version_code

From: Randolph Bentson (bentson@grieg.holmsjoen.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 22:44:11 PDT

    I just discovered that sane_init didn't return a different version_code
    when I upgraded from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2. I traced this back to discover
    a decoupling between lines containing
        VERSION=1.0.2
    found in include/sane/config.h and
        #define SANE_VERSION_CODE(major, minor, build) \
    in include/sane/sane.h The former is used by the frontends and
    backends when displaying a version number to the console, but the
    latter is reported out in the version_code from all the backends
    implementaiton of sane_init.

    The "2" in "1.0.2" appears to be from "V_REV" in configure.in, but
    "build" seems to get only the hard-coded value of "0" in all the backends.

    If the intent of "build" is to distinguish various builds of a given
    backend, shouldn't the various backend drivers use something other
    than "0", and don't we then need some way to get the V_REV out of the
    whole package?

    Randolph Bentson
    bentson@holmsjoen.com