Re: Acer 620ST and Snapscan woes.

From: Steffen Kluge (kluge@fujitsu.com.au)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 06:29:24 PDT

    On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 05:48:58PM +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
    [others:]
    > > > I couldn't get it to work with the bundled card either. It works
    > > > a lot better with a Tekram DC315U. See my recent post to this
    > > > list.
    > > That's not what I wanted to hear. :-) I read your post. WRT the buddled
    > > card, kudzu detected it and set it up to use 'atp870u'. kudzu thinks it
    > > is a "Artop Electronic Corp|AEC6712D SCSI".

    Sorry that this was bad news for you. If it is any consolation,
    an Adaptec AHA1542B didn't work either. Maybe part of the
    problem is the crappy Macintosh style 25-pin SCSI connector on
    the scanner?

    > My Acer 610plus came with a different SCSI card - an Acard one, I think.

    It is probably the same breed of card under a different name.
    Mine is an Acard card too (though PCI), but has the same atp870
    chip mentioned above (and has "AEC6720D" written on it).

    > I've no idea if that works OK with any version of Linux. Its an ISA card,
    > and I have no ISA slots available. I use an Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI card, and
    > that works OK. This setup is not yet 100% quirk free, but it is very
    > usable.

    I got the impression that the version of the sg driver makes a
    lot of difference. The stock-standard 2.2.14 driver panicked
    with both the Acard and the Adaptec cards, the latest version
    for 2.2 kernels (3.0.15 I think) works best. Check the sg home
    page at www.torque.net/sg.

    Cheers
    Steffen.

    --