Re: Correct Network Scanner Syntax? (a question)

From: John Fremlin (vii@penguinpowered.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 14:29:09 PDT

    abel deuring <a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de> writes:

    > > Hmm. I don't know if Oliver added anything to my version, but here is
    > > what I sent him (relative to sane-cvs). The patch to
    > > sanei/sanei_scsi.c should not be necessary if sane is setup properly,
    > > and is probably incorrect wrt other sane backends.

    [...]

    > If this patch to sanei_scsi.c works for your setup (Microtek USB
    > scanner, if my memory is right), it's fine. But it might break the
    > memory management for other backends which use the function
    > sanei_scsi_open. Most backends open the device file for scanner access

    To clarify:

    The patch is *only* included because I couldn't be bothered to read
    the docs to find the correct fix for the fact that my kernel sg buffer
    size is smaller than that which SANE expects.

    I suppose that the USB scanner will work OK with any SCSI buffer size,
    though this is untested and the blighters at microtek can't be
    bothered to give us the docs, and Oliver can't get it to work at all
    on his setup, so whether they work on any system except mine is open
    to question. ;-)

    [...]

    > Therefore, it would be better to work with the environment variable
    > SANE_SG_BUFFERSIZE, or to use the configure-option
    > --enable-scsibuffersize.

    [...]

    > To remove this conflict, I suggest to use sanei_scsi_open_extended
    > instead of sanei_scsi_open in those backends which support USB
    > scanners. Practically, this means to get rid of

    I don't understand. The Microtek Scanmaker X6 USB scanner takes SCSI
    commands over the USB bus. Oliver Neukum and I wrote a kernel driver
    to pass SCSI commands to the scanner. Pure USB scanners would
    presumably not bother with SCSI at all.

    My changes to sanei scsi were just to workaround my misconfigured
    SANE/kernel combo; they have nothing to do with any known hardware
    limitation.

    [...]

    However, could my patch to microtek2.c be integrated into CVS or at
    least undergo some testing by people with true SCSI scanners? I
    believe it should be correct.

    --

    http://altern.org/vii